It is interesting to me how we as humans adapt to almost any environment in which we submerse ourselves. If it’s cold outside, we bundle up; if it is hot, we minimize our clothing and don a pair of shades. It seems we take pride in our ability to adapt. But could that ability or, more specifically the pride in that ability, cause us to settle for so much less than we deserve?
Tony Robbins, one of the greatest thinkers and motivators of our time, talks about six basic human needs. Two of those six needs are Certainty and Uncertainty. The concept here is that our Creator (please feel free to insert your belief here) installed in each of us conflicting needs to create variety and to allow us to find our own path in life.
Certainty is a basic need of all humans; it creates comfort, stability, and predictability in the process of life.
Uncertainty provides variety and allows us to grow. It keeps us from being bored. Uncertainty requires us to escape the comfort of guaranteed outcomes, and places the onus directly on us to make (or break) our own future.
And of the six basic needs Tony Robbins teaches, these two have perhaps the most profound affect on whether or not a person will reap great dividends from exhibiting the courage and adventure of the modern day entrepreneur.
I talk to several people each week who are looking for a better life, a way out, and an escape from the grind that makes up their everyday existence. These are the entrepreneurs. The big thinkers. They are leaders.
They are very certain about one thing: They are not content to toil long hours in dead end jobs that bring them little or no satisfaction.
They cannot bear a day (let alone 5 in a row every week) of being surrounded by complaining co-workers who spend more time finding ways to create short cuts than actually putting forth the effort to do the job right.
Most of all, they refuse—flat out refuse—to be paid anything less than an amount THEY dictate to be what they deserve (try going into your boss’s office and explaining to them that you want a 100, 150, or 200% jump in pay because you believe you are worth it!). In short, they are psychologically unemployable.
They enthusiastically pursue the Uncertainty of entrepreneurship because they believe that they deserve a great life.
These are the “5%’ers”; the top 5% of society who strives for a better financial life for themselves and their families. And what about the remaining 95%?
Sadly, they are all “adaptors”, those who will eventually wake up someday, most likely too late, to a boring, unfulfilling and below-average life. They have fallen into the sleepy lull of “accepting what they get”.
Absent is the satisfaction. Satisfaction of doing something they are passionate about. Satisfaction in knowing they are doing something REAL, which will ultimately pay HUGE dividends in the future.
They are so determined to have Certainty in their lives that they are willing to wait until Uncertainty knocks at their doorstep and forces their hand to make a change.
And by then, it could be too late.
The average person, particularly in America, is content to grind out 40 or more hours per week (a number that rises every year). These are the same people who hope beyond all stressed-out hope that a pension will be there when they retire; that they will be “taken care of”.
They want to be shepherded; they want to be led, even at the expense of never truly being prosperous or happy.
So why do that; why be part of the herd? Why adapt to a “comfortable” environment? Why not evacuate that existence for a better one? Why not create Uncertainty in your life?
I ask people that same question every time they call me for advice, or when they show interest in my business. I can only say that I remember how that felt; that I used to have those fears and stressors, and now I am a better, happier and more fulfilled person for pushing out and away from my comfort zone and jumping feet first into the uncertain waters of free enterprise.
What kind of “certainty” kept me going when the going got tough? I had the certainty that I was growing in the right direction, in the direction of my goals and dreams, and ultimately my “why”.
Was it initially scary? You bet! Was there Uncertainty? Absolutely.
But as with any situation involving risk, there have been huge rewards. And those rewards, that continue to flow to me and my family in an abundant deluge, have made me never forget, and never miss, the days of being an employee.
Being the master of my own destiny, setting the course of my own abundant future and being accountable to myself has been the most liberating and empowering cause I could have ever championed.
I encourage everyone to make a committed effort to do the same. Step outside your Certainty; promise yourself the life you deserve. Formulate a plan of action, and then DO IT. You will thank yourself in the very near future.